CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Remembering when

I was remebering my childhood today as I headed down to my daughter's school to attend a class with her.

A class on puberty!

Ah! Yes! Puberty.

She and I have spent many hours over the past year talking and sharing on our bodies and the changes she will be going thru. Also that at my age I too am going thru changes. She has been very open to learning and asking lots of questions. (thankfully, not all at once!) It has been a time and place of healing for me doing this with her because my mother never did such with me. Her talk with me was short and blunt..."you will begin to bleed, this is called your period. It is dirty. Keep it a secret. When you start to bleed it means you can have babies. That is the reason why women bleed."

Our menstration is so much more than that.

Anyways, the class at my daughters school. It was for all 5th grade girls given by the school nurse. Maybe 13 girls total. So as the school nurse begins to talk about the body changes they will be going thru and begins to talk of them getting their periods, there was so much giggling and whispering going on amongst these girls it was fun to watch/hear. My daughter has experienced already most of the changes the nurse spoke of and I watched her from the back of the room wondering how she was feeling, what she was thinking. I was the only mother there!
I was shocked!!! utterly! Just goes to show how many mothers are not completely involved in their young girls lives today. It is very sad.

I will say one thing, the movie that was shown on getting your period was a lot more "entertaining" than the movie we watched when I was in school. Thank goodness!

The class was an hour long and was the last hour of school. It was a most interesting hour and am glad she was willing to allow me to be there.

0 comments: